Travel News

Advertisement / Annons:

My travel in Europe:
Fuerteventura, island of Spain, 2021

Content:

Puerto del Rosario, Driving to the Southern and Western side

Day 5:

Puerto del Rosario:

A rainy day, we look at the maps where we can go by busses, most busses have just a few departures a day. But the bus to Puerto del Rosario has two departures per hour. Earlier when we changed bus at that place we felt it look a bit boring. But it was the only alternative, if we visit the main city we think it's best close to the harbor.

Fuerteventura, Spain 2021

After the bus stop we pass through a shopping center, I look once again at shoes, i found some that I liked, but a bit expensive. We walk further down to the harbor and beach.

A big ship is anchored at the pier, it belongs to the shipping company Aida. They have eight ships that make cruises, most in the Mediterranean Sea.

A man sitting at the harbor and playing his instruments, many of them. At the end of the pier there is another whale skeleton, not as big as the one at the salt museum.

Today we share a pizza and drinking sangria.

Day 6:

Today we have booked a car, we shall pick it up at 9 am.

An early and fast breakfast in our hotel room and we are ready to go out and get our car, a twenty minutes walk to the rent office.

First we go to Southern part of the island, Morro Jable, Gunilla visited that part 30 years ago and want to see if she can recognize any place. We didn't come very far, a traffic accident has occurred and we had to take other smaller roads.

Gran Tarajal:

First stop on the way to Morro Jable, Gran Tarajal, this is not a tourist place. We like the beach in the city, took a cup of coffee and a Coke.

Walk up in the center of city, we found a shoe store with a Black Friday offer. At last I found my shoes for no money at all and much nicer look compare the ones I had looked at before, Gunilla bought two pair of shoes too.

Advertisement / Annons:

Taralejo:

Second stop is also a coast village, Taralejo.

The blue hotel to the right looks to be a retreatment place for older people, looks nice, I can stay here a couple of months to rest.

We continue on the roads and have beautiful views out over the ocean and the mountains.

Morro Jable:

We are driving through Morro Jable and Gunilla watched if she could find where they stayed 30 years ago. So many new hotels and houses they have built !

A cruise on a pirate ship ? No we didn't have time for that.

The pirate ship looks like one of the ship my father was on sea with in the 1930s. I know it was still floating in the beginning of the 2000s and for a short period she was stationed in the Mediterranean Sea.

A big light house at the Southern tip of Morro Jable.

Astronomical viewpoint Sicasumbre:

We never found the place Gunilla visited 30 years ago. Now we are heading for a Astronomical viewpoint on the West coast.

You can follow our route on the map here:

We are closing in to the viewpoint, very beautiful landscape here. So different compare to what we have at home.

Sicasumbre:

Standing at the parking place to the astronomical viewpoint Sicasumbre.

The viewpoint is on the summit up there, you can see the buildings.

We walked all the way up, we had very strong wind up here. I'm looking out over the views and wonder if the sky is clear to night.

There is even a binocular up here for use but I didn't get it to work.

We walked down again, up there the wind was too strong and we got sand get in our eyes.

A farewell to the astronomical viewpoint.

If you are interested in astronomy you can read more about this place here: Astronomical viewpoint.

Next stop will be at the coast where there are some caves, maybe we can find a restaurant there too because we are hungry now.

Ajuy:

Ajuy is a small coast village, we park the car at the entrance of the village and walk down to the beach where we hope to find restaurants.

Luckily we found many restaurants here at the beach, we order grilled shrimps a chees plate and some garlic bread. Just when we were finished it started to rain heavily. We had to wait until it stopped, but can we walk all the way to the caves now ?

We climb up the hill and follow the cliff along the shore.

Interesting layers in the rock, magma and old sand beaches bunt together.

The big caves in the background, but it's a 15 minutes walk and we are waiting rain. We took the path to the left with the small caves.

Yes the caves were small.

But we got a terrific view over the ocean.

Back to Ajuy and back to the car.

Mirador del Risco de las Penas:

Along the road we now have plenty of viewpoints, this is the Betancuria area.

There is space enough for a couple of cars here at the parking place and it's easy to find with this portal.

Best view must be out on the summit, we never walked out to that place.

A small village deep down in the valley. This is also a second road to the coast village to Ajuy we have just visited.

The height over the sea is maybe 400 meters.

Viewpoint de Guise:

The village in the background is the Betancuria we just have left.

There are two parking places here, one at each side of the road. At this viewpoint we could read the interesting story about the two kings that ruled the island 600 years ago.

Morro de la Cruz:

The last viewpoint we visited, just a few hundred meter from the earlier viewpoint. To come to this place there is a steep road up to the summit.

Maybe the best viewpoint of the ones we have visited, not the darkest but in other ways.

There is also a cafe up here, but closed when we visited the place.

Now is just to drive back to Caleta de Fuste and leave the car. The cost to rent the car was only 40 Euro included full insurance. The gasoline only cost 12 Euro per liter at this island.

Go Back to content

Go Back
Day 7 to 8: Fuerteventura

Advertisement / Annons: