1. Introduction to the Lappland tour, 1963
  2. Day 1 to 3: From Stockholm to Holmbacka
  3. Day 4 to 5: From Holmbacka to Jämtön
  4. Day 6 to 7: From Jämtön to Barsele
  5. Day 8 to 9: From Barsele to Munkfors
  6. Day 10 to 12: From Munkfors back to Stockholm

Our own Lappland tour, 2002

Here at Google map you can follow our travels day 8 and 9:

Day 8, Storuman, Nybyggarland, Dorotea, Flåsjöstrand, Östersund, Frösön, Räcksjön

Storuman:

The Lappland tour in Northern Sweden, 2002

We visit Storuman downtown, railway station and tourist office. It is the old railway station along the Inlandsbanan I'm in front of. Population density here corresponds to 8 people within Stockholm's city walls.

More information about Storuman at Wikipedia (only Swedish):

More information about Inlandsbanan at Wikipedia (only Swedish):

Nybyggarland:

On our way to Vilhelmina we made a short stop at Nybyggarland. I flanks a "guest booth". 2 beds, bed of birch and a fireplace in the middle.

Dorotea:

We take a break and Rosie speaks with a Lapp, he gives us tips that around the neighborhood there is a Sibylla kitchen where we can get us hot dogs.

But first, Rosie will give the bear a big hug.

More information about Dorotea at Wikipedia:

Flåsjöstrand:

A break on the beach to Flåsjöstrand, one hour. Long shallow and beautiful sandy bottom. Rosie walks out into the lake and she walks and she walks.

Hey Rosie, where are you going, are you leaving me alone here?

We leave Flåsjöstrand camping and continue our journey.

Östersund, Frösön:

We drive up to Frösön's view tower, unfortunately closed. We have always imagined us that Frösön island is flat, but not, more like an Alpine town in Switzerland. A pizza to dinner, great weather, the heat and the sun continue to follow us on our trip.

Day 9, Räcksjön, Hoverberget, Berg, Klövsjö, Vemdalen, Sveg

Räcksjön (close to Östersund):

Overnight stay at Räcksjön, the owners who has a turkey farm, some yaks and other animals.

At breakfast Rosie shows her secret weapon for the family, an electric fly killer. Rolf gets deeply impressed and runs around the house and takes dead on a number of flies and break out smoothly "with this there will be none stains on the wallpaper". He will probably find who sells these to sell them by himself.

Rosie said:
"For some reason, Lars would not approach closer to the turkey house, could it depend on the smells of them?"

The yaks were impressive. The owner tells you that you have to hold at least 1.5 meters distance. Otherwise, you can be lanced on the horns if the yak shake his head. The horns look really sharp so I stay at a safe distance.

More information about yak at Wikipedia:

The journey goes south. Directly we see two "round-shaped beauties" on wheels. In the neighborhood there is a campaign to collect all old car wrecks and scrap them.

Advertisement / Annons:

Hoverberget:

We get up in the view tower, Rosie gets a little upset because of the height.

With binoculars help, we see the bridge we passed 2 km North from here. The bridge towards Oviken. The whole Jämtland spread out in front of us, a magnificent view. There is also a big cave here at Hoverberget that we didn't had time to visit.

More information about Hoverberget at Wikipedia:

Berg:

The farm in Berg, at the southern end of Storsjö. The carved (with chainsaw) Ardennes horse was kind and let Rosie give him a hug.

More information about Ardennes horse at Wikipedia:

We have to speed up now, not many days left until we must be back to Stockholm. Ya, ya, faster my horse, we are in hurry!

More information about Bergs farm (only Swedish):

When I visited this place once again some years later they had set up a fence around the horse.

The guide told us about the Bingsta riffle. Famous for its quality.

More information about Bingsta riffle (only Swedish):

Once again a look into a blacksmith's place, it's so fascinating to see all the tools they made by themselves.

Klövsjö:

Rosie tells:
"We are looking for Lars' roots in the small village Klövsjö. We meet Ragnar who tells about old relatives. He turns out to be a distant relative to Lars. Almost everyone here in the village there are relatives. Klövsjö has ancient ancestors, the first villages are from the 16th century. In 1565 the village name was spelled Klöffzsjö."

We finally find the farm where my grandfather lived as a young boy with his parents. He who lives here today tells us about his family which are relatives to me. The farm operates "budrift", i.e. have fäbodar on the other side of the lake where the animals feed in the summer.

I and the dog sitting on the stairs. Fun photo because there is a similar photo from 1938 with my grandfather's brother and wife with a dog. See the photo below.

The staircase's work was rebuilt in the 1970s and now is the time to replace it again the owner tells us.

My grandfather's brother and his wife and the dog.

More information about Klövsjö at Wikipedia:

Before we leave Klövsjö we make a visit to the grave yard where my grandfather Jonas Olovsson is buried.

Eastern side of Klövsjö.

Some photos where the small river Kvarnbäcken flow down along the trees towards Klövsjön. My grandfather Olof lived there in a little cottage at his last years.

Vemdalen:

Dinner at campus.

Sveg:

Stay at Little Hotel.

Go Back to content

Go Back
Next:
Lappland tour, day 10 to 12

Advertisement / Annons: