Advertisement / Annons:
My bicycle project
1. Make one bicycle from two wrecks:
More than ten years ago my friend gave me his old bicycle. After finding the keys to the lock I could test drive it and it worked very well. Just some minor problem with the crank shaft. I used it a lot and it served me well. But after a couple of years the pedal crank shaft's roller bearing gave up. I could of course repair it but the spare parts and needed special tools cost a lot more than I can buy another used bicycle for. I drive my bicycle mostly on the streets but sometimes out in the forest. A 26" mountain bike is a bit to clumsy but a 28" with narrow tires and a sturdy frame fits my goals better.
And more, it's expensive to fill up the tank on the car nowadays !
More to read about bicycles:
This is the old bicycle, a 28" wheels Yosemite Wapama, I got it from my friend, still looking good but the pedal crankshaft roller bearing problems make me to not used it very often. I made plans how to fix it.
Another old bicycle:
During the midsummer I saw an ad where there was a 28" bicycle, a Soda Sport Comp, and it had a frame made of aluminum. Not very common but perfect for me, it share a lot of parts with my old bicycle. It had one fault, one spoke on the rear wheel was cut and the wheel wobble a lot, it hit the break pads when rotating. It was in the city and I took the subway to see it. Little bit more work than I expected, but the seller lowered the price and I had a new project. 15 km to to home and I started bicycling home, the rear breaks was on all the way and I got a little bit exhausted.
When I went home in the garage I inspected it more carefully of what to do and what parts I can take from my old bicycle to use on this. The frame on this new bicycle is lower, it makes it easier to move up and down on the bicycle.
I have never liked these parking stands, very easy to hook up on something and it add some extra weight.
With it removed it's more space to the ground. I now have a box with nowadays not used parking stands.
The rear lock from my old bicycle I can move over to the new.
The frame of the new bicycle is more compact and I had to plan carefully where to place the lock.
An old broken bracket, I just removed it.
The new bicycle has the same type of wheels as the old one.
It fit perfect on the new bicycle, maybe I try to repair the broken wheel later. The difference between them is that the new is black and the old is silver.
The wire for the rear break came at an angle, not correct. I have to move it to the other side.
The bent guider for the wire was too long, I cut it 20 mm. I also cut the wire and taped the end. Add a rubber protection for the wire.
This break has adjustable springs that returns the clutches in rest position. I adjust them to be equal between right and left side. That's important, otherwise the breaks align against the wheel and cause a lot of unwanted friction.
I also replaced the uneven worn disc pads. I took them from my old bicycle, it wasn't long ago I had replaced them.