Should we summarize the PolCor-2 instrument we can say that it is an instrument cluster consisting of Lucky Imager,
Polarization meter and Coronagraph.
It has the following advantages over a more general instrument as ALFOSC (you can read about ALFOSC at NOT's website):
- Sharper images, typically 0.7" to 0.4" with the opportunity to come down to 0.2"
- High time resolution, milliseconds if necessary (sub-array)
- Much better PSF (higher contrast)
- Much better coronagraph performance
- Much lower interference wings
- More accurate sky subtraction
- More accurate color index measurements
- No time loss for reading
"If one were to name one drawback it is that the QE in the UV range is limited to about 30%,
and that the field of view is limited to 1', see image in the introduction."
After this day at Albanova one can not be other than very impressed by the instrument that has been designed and built here at Albanova.
And you shall know that Göran has done the most amazing things besides this!