Astrofriend's homepage
Share: Twitter Reddit Facebook Gmail Gmail Email
Search Astrofriend's homepage:

Valid CSS!

All pages shall now have been validated

Info Cookies (Kakor) / GDPR


Advertisement /

Advertisement / Annons:

HEQ5 as portable mount


  1. Introduction
  2. EQDIRECT from D-sub to RJ45
  3. Power terminal of HEQ5 changed
  4. Installing the 300 mm lens on HEQ5
  5. Rewiring the electric cables
  6. Connecting the Raspberry
  7. Setup GPSD
  8. Setup GPS NMEA
  9. Power consumption
  10. Battery power cables
  11. Tweaking auto guiding parameters
  12. Rowan Belt Modification Kit
  13. Making the tripod to a low rider
  14. Redesign of mount head details
  15. Raspberry Pi4 bracket
  16. Brackets: temperature sensor, spirit level and stepper motor
  17. Transport box
  18. EQDirect cable
  19. Brackets reinforced and adapt it to EQ6
  20. Cut the length of the GPS cable
  21. HEQ5 and TS130 refractor ?
  22. To be continued

Related projects:

  1. HEQ5 as portable mount
  2. Pentax 645 300 mm ED IF f/4 lens
  3. KStars / EKOS and Raspberry Pi4

I take no responsibility or liability for what are written here, you use the information on your own risk!

11: Tweaking auto guiding parameters

Now all fun has started, I can start using my new equipment. There are a lot of things to setup and optimize. One of them is the auto-guider. With only the standard calibration that Ekos do it doesn't get optimized. The total guide RMS error go from 1" to 2.4", it should do much better. This HEQ5 is modified with a belt drive.

Auto guiding with new parameters:

HEQ5 and Raspberry: Tweaking auto guiding parameters

I test with different parameters in KStars' Configure Guide until I get the errors lower. I had a lot of oscillations that don't damp out. After 30 minutes I got the total RMS error down to 0.8", much better and I don't think I can get it better from the balcony. At a better place maybe I can get it as best down to 0.6". RA get a peak at regular intervals, don't know yet what cause that problem.

HEQ5 and Raspberry: Tweaking auto guiding parameters

I increased the Aggressiveness for both RA and DEC to have a faster response when there is a guide error.

parameter RA default RA new DEC default DEC new
Aggressiveness 0.50 0.85 0.50 0.75
Integral gain 0.00 0.70 0.00 0.50
Min error 0.20" 0.20" 0.20" 0.20"
Max response 25" 10" 25" 15"

The Integral gain was by default set to 0. I increase both RA and DEC.

And at last I decreased the Max response at RA and DEC. With a better place I can fine adjust them and maybe have the RMS error even better.

All these setting is optimized for my equipment. But you do something similar. When I did this I had the Auto guider in Looping. All the other parameters are not changed.

With all the equipment I have added it now shines like a Christmas tree. I count to 17 LEDs.

Go Back to content

Go Back
To page XII

Advertisement / Annons: